Thursday, June 3, 2010

Overheard this week

Two days ago, I told Gee "no". (The reason? He wanted more M&Ms.) After asking me repeatedly, I said, "Gee, don't ask me again. The answer is NO."

He screwed up his three-year-old face into the meanest expression he could summon and said, threateningly, "Do you need a SWAT, Momma?"

It wasn't the reaction he was hoping for, but I laughed until I cried. Oh, the power differential between momma and preschooler.

(Yes, my (little) kids get swats on their bums sometimes. Mostly for doing things that are very dangerous--touching the stove, going into the street, trying to balance on something precarious and refusing to get down...Zee has grown out of swatting age, and Em is practically there as well.)
_______________________

Zee was telling me that the apples I'd bought (Braeburns instead of Red Delicious) were not quite to his liking.

"These apples are SO SOUR, Momma, that they have enough sour in them to make the WHOLE WORLD sour. I'm telling you, BOTH your eyes close when they are this sour, not just one."
_______________________

Em is so proud of herself. She read the entire "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" ABC book to herself this morning.

"Were you SO surprised when I could read it all by myself, Momma?"
"I sure was, Em. You are growing up so fast, and getting so smart!"
"Were you SHOCKED that I could do it?"
"Yup."
"Were you so shocked you FELL OVER?"
"Ummm...not quite."
_____________________

Yesterday, while sitting at the dinner table, Em and Zee were singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" while waiting for Daddy to prepared their baked potatoes for them. For whatever reason, they lost interest at the start of the third line.

Zee and Em: "...how I wonder what you are..."

Silence for half a beat. Then a little tiny voice piped up.

"Uuuuup ubub de erd oo hiiii"

It was Hebs. He had the sounds, the tune, and the rhythm almost exactly spot-on. Bradley and I almost popped with joy.

We laughed and cheered. He was so proud of himself. Later, we sang "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam", and he sang the "BEAM" part as well, so excited to be part of the group.

1 comment:

  1. Your kids are awesome! Thanks for making me giggle, I needed that today!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.