I felt a little of that same awe today, when we met with our builder-draftsman, Jared, to talk through our house plans. He took the (pathetically amateur) drawing that I had spent hours working on, and turned it into a thing of beauty. Or, at least, a thing of function, style, utility, frugality, and a smidgen of grace.
Mema, Bradley, Craig-the-realtor and I spent almost three hours with Jared in a conference room in Saratoga Springs. (Bless my sister Telima's heart--she watched all my kids for five hours today, maybe more. I am SOOOO grateful. It's hard to imagine trying to do this with my little chickens pecking around.) We showed pictures of the style of house we like. (I favor Craftsman, Mema favors Victorian, and Bradley favors "Not Ugly". Because of budget constraints, Craftsman style seems to have won the day. Turrets are terribly expensive.) The above-mentioned floor plan drawing was dissected. Requirements, wants, and wishes were discussed.
And by the end, we had something...workable. And actually nice. And very very exciting.
Now, Jared takes his drawing back to his computer and drafting program and creates it. It should take him about a week. After that, we tweak and play and then...send it out to bid! We're hoping to break ground in August, but that might be laughably optimistic. We'll see!
(Bradley and I have decided that we want to "crowdsource" this project a bit, so if you have an idea, I'd love to hear it. There are some of my friends out there (you know who you are!) who might have ideas/advice/warnings for us. I'm going to get my hands on pictures of the rough drawings and then ask for your opinions. I hope you'll be willing to share! So stay tuned--as soon as I get the drawings, I will put them up.)

It's so fun to watch your process a few months behind ours. I feel like we are twins doing this at the same time :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun adventure building a home will be! I'm excited for you!
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to build a house, but I will probably never be able to do so. Can I live vicariously through you? (Please! You are welcome to ignore any stupid comments that I make!)
ReplyDeleteDo you bid out the house to different builders or how does that work? When we built our house we picked the builder first and then had the floor plans drawn up how we wanted them and then reviewed and made any adjustments or changes.
ReplyDelete