Wednesday, September 19, 2012

While I was sleeping

I've been battling this virus for a couple of days now, and yesterday I was actually feeling worse than I had the previous day.  I was miserably counting the minutes until my big kids came home from school.  

Zee, almost nine, is big enough to keep tabs on the younger kids while I nap.  I don't expect too much from them--just keep everyone alive, no juggling knives or lit matches--and we don't do it too often.  (The state my house is left in after such a nap is scary to behold.  It really better be worth it.)

I love that my kids are big enough for this!  My Zee is so responsible and gentle with his younger siblings.  Em is growing so compassionate as well.  I put Yummy down for a nap at the same time I went downstairs to sleep, but she wasn't really impressed with that idea.  Em begged me for the chance to stay with Yum-Yum and rub her back until she fell asleep.  I agreed, and went to my bed.  Not ten minutes later, Yummy was sound asleep and Em was tip-toeing back upstairs.  Stuff like this makes my heart just sing.

I slept for four solid hours--it was 7:15pm and Bradley had been home for an hour before I woke up.  Zee kept the kids happy and not bothering me (and not technically destroying the house; after all, it's still standing!) for three hours.  And what a difference it made for me--I feel nearly normal today.  Still tired, still a little shaky, but the horrible headache and sore throat are gone.

Zee even answered texts from my mother!  I found these on my phone this morning:
Mema:  Can I come do laundry tomorrow?
Me, except really Zee:  It is [Zee]
Zee:  yes mom is a sleep
Mema:  Hi how are you?
Zee:  Good
Mema:  Good maybe she will feel better when she wakes up
Zee:  Bi
Mema:  I love you.  Bye.
I don't know why I find that incredibly adorable, but I really do.  He's such a good kid, and a keeper.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're feeling better. It's wonderful to have a responsible older child.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.