Monday, April 15, 2013

New Calling

On the last Sunday of 2012, we started attending our new ward.  We hadn't moved into our house yet, but I had spent two weeks saying good-bye to my beloved Spanish Fork First Ward, and I just couldn't do it another week.  It was time to start moving on.

While giving all our information to the Primary Presidency, the subject of my last calling came up.  When I mentioned that I had been a Den Leader in the Cub Scouts, I swear you could see their eyes light up.

"Oh!" The Primary President, Sister C., said.  "For how long?"

"Only a year," I replied.

"So you're not too...tired...of it, then?" 

"No," I laughed.  "I will be happy to serve anywhere I'm needed, and I like scouts.  My oldest is that age, so I guess it's only fair to help out with it."

The conversation turned back to the birthdates and full names of my children, and that was the end of the discussion.

We moved on the following Saturday, and after sleeping late into Sunday morning in sheer exhaustion, I got a phone call from a member of the bishopric.  Would I please come in a little before church that afternoon?

As I agreed, I could feel my doom rushing toward me.  Sometimes you just KNOW what your next calling will be.  This was one of those times.  And I was right.  (Of course, a blind/deaf/especially thick monkey probably could have guessed, this time.)

During sacrament meeting, we all stood up awkwardly as they read our family's records in.  Immediately following that, they read my name as a Cub Scout Den Leader for a sustaining vote.  (Not that anyone even knew us to object...)  

And thus began my new calling, which was very like my old calling.  

So I totally was not expecting a phone call, late last Saturday night, being asked to come in for a meeting with a member of the bishopric the following morning.  Oh, would I bring along my husband as well?  Oooookay...

After thinking about it for a few minutes, I suspected that I was going to be asked to be Bradley's team teacher in Senior Primary.  He teaches the same group of kids as are in my cub den, and they are a rambunctious crew.  Bradley didn't have a partner, which meant he could never close the door, which meant the sound of the boys filled the entire wing of the building.  Not a very good combination.

Well, remember how sometimes you KNOW what your next calling will be?  This wasn't one of those times.

My new calling is second counselor in the Primary Presidency. The Primary President is remaining, but both her counselors are being released for various family/personal/health reasons.  And the secretary is also remaining.  I was sustained and set apart yesterday, as this ward likes to just get things done.

Yowza.

It's going to be the awesomest way to get to know everyone in the ward--that have children.  I'll be pretty isolated from other groups, because that's just what Primary is.  And I don't get to pass on the whole cub scout thing, either.  Because they are now my responsibility.  

This happened to be once before, in our Spanish Fork ward.  We had been living at our little orange brick house for just about six months when I was called to be the second counselor in the Primary Presidency there.  This time I only got three-and-a-half months, though.  

Hopefully I'll never have my mother's experience.  We moved to the Mendoza Court house in mid-September, and by the first part of October, she was the Primary President.  Of 180 kids.  No thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.