Friday, February 12, 2010

Breaking News: The Arizona Legislature Hates Kids

(Part III of a series talking about the considered amendment to the Utah Child Restraint Laws. Part I, Part II)

It turns out that in Arizona, children only have to be in a child safety seat until they are five years old. Do they make sturdier kids in Arizona? (I am willing to entertain this notion, especially when I consider my four nephews who live in Page.) Does the Utah Legislature care more about safety than the Arizona Legislature does? (Doubt it.) I had a conversation about this with my Arizona-dwelling best friend:

Me: There's no way for us to fit FIVE carseats in our van.
Her: Yeah, there comes a point when it is a little overboard. I think you should be safe and careful, but do you really need a motion detector in a healthy infant's bed? Or knee pads?
Me: Exactly.
Her: Or an underarm extender for a child learning how to walk so you can grab them and they don't fall down?
Me: A helmet for playing with siblings in your bedroom.
Her: Yep, I hope you have these things on your wish list for this baby. I don't know how the others have stayed alive.
Me: Exactly! It's a miracle. Right now Hebs is sporting a lovely purple bruise, just below his eyebrow. It's because i didn't have him in his bubble. And because he's trying to pull himself up and around and doing baby stuff.
Her: For shame!!
Me: Exactly! Just call CPCS. Maybe I could get a nap.
Her: What if he gets dirty?
Me: Or grumpy? Or snotty? Or has chocolate smeared across his face? (He has the latter two right now!)
Her: Is he in an ivy league preschool yet?
Me: (I'm so ashamed.)

3 comments:

  1. It's not that AZ hates kids, they just don't care about them. They are indifferent as to what will happen, good or bad, to the kids in the state as we have so many 'snow birds' who dominate the poles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will call CPS on you if someone hasn't already. :) You should be ashamed for letting your son be a kid and actually get dirty. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.