
I first experienced a snowstorm (at least in my conscious memory) at the age of 17. Growing up in the hot desert of Las Vegas doesn't afford many chances for snow, and since my mother detests the snow and cold with a fierce, burning passion, we didn't travel seeking it out, either. Much to my surprise, I found I really love snowstorms. Falling snow is very romantic weather.
Even though I was a complete snow novice when I first moved to Utah, I've lived here 15 years now. I'm getting somewhat experienced in the ways of snow, both falling and on the ground already. Plus, here in Utah, it is necessary to adopt a kind of indifferent attitude toward snow. We don't ever cancel school, for example. (Much to my dismay while I was at BYU. Seventeen inches in 18 hours doesn't merit a snow day? Really?) (Not that I needed a snow day, living on campus as I was at the time. But I really, really wanted one.) Generally speaking, our snowstorms disrupt traffic but little else. (Usually our snow falls straight down, of course. I realize that wind + snow is a different story.)
So I'm feeling somewhat alarmed about all the hoopla surrounding the blizzard that hit the Wasatch Front today. They've been warning us about it for about 36 hours now; quite dire warnings and serious language. This is a dangerous storm, we've been told. Utah County closed all its government offices at 2:30pm. BYU closed campus at 3pm. (This is big. BYU never, ever, EVER declares a snow day. And yet today and tomorrow, campus is closed.) Leave work early, they say, and NO unnecessary driving. If the power goes out, bundle up. Hole up in one room, close all the doors, stuff towels in the door cracks and over the windows. Expect snow-choked roads 15 minutes after the storm hits, and a drop in temperature of 15-20 degrees in about the same amount of time. (The storm did hit exactly when they said it would: Spanish Fork at seven pm. At 6:55 the house shook with the first gusts of wind. Pretty accurate.)
It's freaking me out a little, I'll admit. And getting me a little excited. I'm sorry to say that I don't have a coffee grinder to turn wheat grain into flour, but I do have wheat grain! (And a ton of canned goods, a freezer full of meats and other delectable items, and even some raspberry lemonade. So I think we're all good.)
But I have a feeling that tomorrow morning I wake up, see the sun shining on the three inches of snow, and wonder what the big deal was.

No comments:
Post a Comment