Monday, May 11, 2009

Eruptions of an unwelcome nature

Hebs has had more than his fair share of skin troubles since birth (mostly really bad eczema). On Saturday he broke out in a horrible looking rash--little pus-filled bump--all over his legs, with a few on his arms here and there. Being the good mother I am, I waited until Monday to take him to the doctor, just on the off chance that it is chicken pox. (I did call the nurse on Saturday, just to see if she thought I should bring him in. She didn't. But it spread a little and he had a bit of fever Sunday and Monday, so I called for an appointment.)

I actually sort of wish it was the chicken pox. Turns out it's a staph or strep infection, probably something called impetigo, hopefully not a MRSA. Our doctor prescribed an oral antibiotic, and if it doesn't start looking better by Wednesday, he'll culture it and see what we're dealing with. Nice, huh?

So far, he's in a little bit of pain, but fortunately nothing infant Tylenol can't fix. Mostly he wants to scratch the rash. I could cover his hands with socks or something, but he's a thumbsucker (my first one!), and I can't do that to him. So he's wearing feetie pajamas all the time, which, let's face it, is not a problem--he's only six months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.