Thursday, May 21, 2009

Unsuitable for a Heroine

With a fairly active imagination growing up (and, frankly, as an adult, too), I have imagined myself the heroine of a hundred different books, fairy tales, and movies. I'm convinced my imagination has saved my sanity many times over, especially while doing boring jobs. (My high school job at the public library was perfect for a student, and it was also perfectly boring. Shelving books only takes half your brain at best. Not to mention one of my college jobs, early-morning custodial. Waxing floors and emptying trash cans does not tax your brain. Even at three in the morning.)

Anyway, pretending to be a heroine is fun, but I can't imagine I'd be very good as a real heroine:
  • I hate killing wasps, bees, or anything larger than an ant. The squishy sound they make...ugh.
  • I hate being in pain--the anticipation of being stung by a wasp or bee is almost worse than the sting itself (or the squish).
  • I have bad eyesight. Really, really bad eyesight. Enough said.
  • I can't ride a galloping horse across the moonlit countryside, or steal all the bad guys' mounts. In fact, I've never ridden a horse--being led around the barnyard on a pony when I was eight doesn't count.
  • I can't identify nutritious berries, nuts, roots, or plants, nor can I skin the rabbit I caught with my cleverly disguised snares.
  • I can't use a sword, a bow, a gun, or a spear. Or any weapon bigger than a flyswatter.
  • I can't escape the bad guys by swimming across the river, doubling back, and hiding my trail. I can barely swim in the deep end of a calm pool.
The list could go on and on, but you get the idea. At least I don't have bad allergies, so when I have to hide in the meadow or the stables I won't give away our position by sneezing.

6 comments:

  1. You are my Hero! Just making it through the day with everyone in one piece, mostly happy, fed, with a song and a story and tucked into bed with a kiss. This is a hero to me, MOTHER OF FOUR!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey super hero Momma Volcano! Good thing your list of stuff you don't do has nothing to do with being a super momma!! Glad to see you blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I read the headline of this post I think that it is going to be about some mental of physical indication that heroine would be really, really bad for you. It is very confusing. But then, if you are going to be a heroine then you had best stay away from heroine I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I agree with Tyler on the anticipation of what this post was about. I do enjoy reading your random thoughts. Do you call your kids by their abbreviated names or by letters as they seem to be in your posts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Samuel (or is it Caren) and Tyler--remember what Nancy Reagan said: Just say NO to drugs!

    And I actually do call my baby "Hebs". And Bradley calls our oldest "Zee" sometimes. But I don't call the other two with their blog nicknames. I just didn't want them to be easily google-able by their classmates in ten years. Using nicknames helps with this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I thought of another one. I have really really bad teeth. I need to have a dentist close by at all times. I wouldn't have survived as the beautiful smiling heroine in medieval times.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.