Monday, March 1, 2010

The Answer

Drumroll please...

Baby Ralphette is perfectly HEALTHY, perfectly beautiful, measuring a week small (consistent with the earlier ultrasound, which means (bummer) change of due date probably to beginning of August), and...

A GIRL.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we have officially broken the Ross record of only one girl per family (or less!).  Bradley's oldest two siblings have one girl and three boys each, his next two sisters have one girl and four boys, and four boys, respectively, and then there was us, with one girl and three boys and a fetus.  And now we know, the fetus is a GIRL.

(I have to admit:  As much as I wanted a girl, I was about 60% sure that it was a boy.  Just because I wanted a girl so much.)

Yay Ralphette!  Welcome to the family, little sister.  (Em is curiously unexcited.  I think she thought this baby was a girl all along, so why are we making a big deal of it right now?)

I am so relieved that there is no sign of birth defects--the ultrasound tech knew the family history and was very thorough.  He was able to reassure us right off the top that all looked well, and then he spent a lot of time measuring and rechecking, just to be positive.  (Of course, anything can happen with any pregnancy, but so far really really good.)

Thanks for voting on my silly little poll, everyone.  It helped distract me in the last few days of nervousness.  The final results:

8 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!! PINK,PINK,PINK......you might want to work on the name...lol...but if you are set on Ralphette I think it's lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! Every girl needs a sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! Since your kids names go in a pattern (4 letters, 5 letters, 6 letters, 5 letters), this one should be 4 letters and Ralphette doesn't fit in. You'll just have to shorten it to Ralf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, it's probably good that your due date got pushed back a week, you don't want to go into labor during the Speedy Spaniard race, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks SO much, everyone. I am so excited! (You probably couldn't tell.) Don't you worry, Laurene and Kristy--I'm thinking something a little fancier, like...Ralfet.

    Or, in keeping with Ashley's idea about four letters, and going with the trend of naming your children unpronounceable strings of letters: Rlft. Whaddya think?

    And Alicia: Isn't that the truth? My boys have brothers, now my girls will have sisters. It's a happy, happy thing.

    (About the Speedy Spaniard race: we're going to have ALL of Bradley's family over to our house for the 24th race, parade, etc; plus everyone that usually comes (anyone's invited!), so it is going to be a riot! AND, I generally go into labor a week and a half ahead of my due date. Which lands me right after the festivities. Hooray!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, congratulations! Glad to hear everything looks a-ok. I'm glad Emma gets to have a sister!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe if you join in the Speedy Spaniard race you'll have her early for sure. I like Rlft. It's almost as good as the name we heard at the hospital shortly before Camille was born. The baby's name was Abcde. Yes, it was spelled A-B-C-D-E. It was pronounced AB-suh-dee. Maybe you could shorten that and just name her Abcd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the girl! That is so fun! your kids are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.