Tuesday, April 6, 2010

He Walks!

Hebs is 17 months old.He does things in his own time, in his own way. (I fear for the teenage years if this remains to be his modus operandi.) He has never crawled, rather preferring an odd tripod-scoot movement:



He also was late to sit up by himself, to stand against things, to cruise along furniture. Oh, and did I mention? He refuses to walk.

I've managed to stay fairly low-key about this very late bloomer of mine. It helps that Gee's old therapists weren't worried, that Hebs' pediatrician said to just wait, and that my mother and grandmother assured me that, yes, there are kids that don't walk until 18 months. (Just not very many of them...)

In other ways, Hebs is right on schedule or maybe a little ahead. He talks a lot: Choo-choo (train), ruff-ruff (dog), Momma, Dadda, Zee, Em (sometimes), "go" (as in "ready-set-go"), amen, no (he's good at that one), uh-oh, night-night, etc. He has pretty good fine motor control, stacking blocks, picking up Cheerios, etc. He loves to eat different things, and climbs on everything.

(And he's my only child to ever, ever play in the toilet. And he does that ALL the time. It's been an uphill battle to get the two potty-trained children to remember to CLOSE THE BATHROOM DOOR when they are done. So he's got that going for him.)

But in the last few days, I've noticed a change. When "transferring" from the couch to the coffee table, he doesn't get down on his bum, but lunges for the table. He started walking while holding onto my fingers (finally). Little things that I remember watching Gee do for months as he was preparing to walk.

And then, on Saturday night, while cruising around the bookshelf in the hallway downstairs, he hesitated, standing, in the doorway of the boys' room. I was watching out of the corner of my eye, helping Gee put his pajamas on. And then Hebs did it.

He let go of the doorframe and took one, two, almost three independent steps into the bedroom.

He did it again on Sunday, and then several times yesterday, and several more times today. Only at most three steps at a time, but he is so absurdly pleased with himself for managing such a feat. The other kids have noticed, and have taken to shrieking with delight and encouragement every time he tries. (Which occasionally startles him off balance.)

Hebs isn't running around yet, and I have a feeling that he'll continue to be slow and steady at this new "walking" gig. But that doesn't matter. I am infinitely pleased he managed to figure it out. I have high hopes that, before baby Ralphette arrives in early August, I will have NO children to carry around all the time. Now THAT will be an accomplishment.

What do you want me to do, Momma?

Oh! You want me to walk! Okay, here I (sort of) come!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Heber! How fun. I'm afraid that Lincoln is on his way to walking before 1 year. Oh my, I'm not ready for that...he already gets into EVERYTHING, including the toilet. What don't the kids understand? Shut the bathroom door!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love watching little ones figure out the whole walking thing and then take off. It's so fun to see such little people bee-bopping around!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.