Thursday, May 19, 2011

Em's Kindergarten Graduation

Em flashes our family's gang sign.

Today was Em's last day of kindergarten! That statement merits an exclamation point because I can barely believe the school year is over--although the first semester of school seemed pretty normally-paced, the last five months have FLOWN by.

So my precious oldest girlie has now graduated from kindergarten.

Bradley wasn't able to make it to the ceremony because of an important work meeting. When we discovered the conflict, Bradley looked at me.

Bradley: Is this where I quote from "The Incredibles"?
Keryn: You mean the part where she says, "I can't believe you don't want to go to your own child's graduation!" And then he says, "It's not a graduation! He's moving from the fourth grade to the fifth grade!" ?
Bradley: Yup.
Keryn: Good point.

When Daddy told Em he couldn't make it, she just looked at him somewhat quizzically. "Okay," she said, clearly unconcerned. Whew.

Because Gee was at his last day of school, I only had Hebs and Yum Yum to deal with. We stopped at the office and asked them to send Zee to the auditorium to join us, though. Zee thought that was the coolest thing ever. Getting out of class to watch your little sister sing and get a "diploma", and then go back to her fun classroom and have treats? Score!

We got good seats--nice, unobstructed views, a space to put Yum Yum down to play, close to the front. It only had one downside--the roof leaks. Right onto my shoulder. Fortunately, it only dripped once every minute or two. (The rain we've had has been phenomenal. I do like a good spring rain, but this is getting a little silly.)

The kindergarten program was so sweet and fun. I spent most of the time (when I was not corralling Hebs or Yum Yum, reminding Zee not to sing, or wiping water off my chair and camera) just watching my funny, sweet, pretty girl. She was very careful to sit nicely on the stage steps, pulling her skirt down carefully over her knees. She carefully adjusted the graduation cap on her curled hair, and watched her teacher intently during the songs. She looked so grown-up and mature.

We've had a wonderful year. Mrs. S. is a natural born kindergarten teacher. Time and again I have been in awe at her ability to do and say the exact right thing to a child. She is sweet and wonderful and has helped Em make so much progress this year. Em has really grown into a funny, smart, and sweet girl. Em loves school, and it is mostly because of Mrs. S. This is Mrs. S.'s last year of teaching, for now, because she is going to be a stay-at-home mom to her two little boys. She is so excited, but naturally a little sad. I'm a little sad, too, because I would have loved to have her be Gee's teacher in another year.

After the fun songs and processional and all, we had a little party in the classroom--where Em was pleased to show Hebs around, and tell people about her baby sister--packed up Em's stuff, and went home. Now, my girl's a first-grader!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.