Let me explain: On the days when my children are running amok, I find comfort in telling myself that I am serving as a warning to other. I imagine a large arrow with a sign, floating above my head: This is what happens when you have many small children in a very few years.
It comes in handy at church. A lot.
However, every once in a blue moon, my children conspire to behave themselves when we are out and about. And life is good. Today was one of those days.
Zee has been complaining about blurry eyes, so we went to the eye doctor at Wal-Mart today. (It's early for him to need glasses, but you never know. Especially with two blind-as-bats parents.)
(Digression: Did you know that rhinos are really near-sighted? They will charge just about anything, because they don't know if it is dangerous or not. The things you learn from watching "Wild Kratts" on PBS.)
Anyway, all five children came to the doctor appointment. And all five of them behaved beautifully. It was amazing.
We spent a good hour in the vision center, what with filling out paperwork and exams and waiting for eye dilation and such. Em, Gee, and Hebs took turns pushing Yum-Yum around in her stroller while Zee and I were in the exam room. They were appropriately quiet and very good.
When we were done, we celebrated not having to buy glasses (Zee is just fine) by buying sandals and shoes for nearly everyone in the family. And they were so good that we got compliments from two different random people.
(Another digression: I was willing to buy Gee some $5 sandals if he made a fuss about not getting any, but he demurred. "I already have new DAFOs (his leg braces) and new shoes, Momma!" That was a relief, considering the DAFOs cost us $250 (and that's only 10%, our insurance covers the rest), and the special shoes to cover the DAFOs cost $70.)
And then they all fell asleep in the car on the way to get Daddy, so Bradley and I could talk without interruption all the way home.
It was a good day.

No comments:
Post a Comment