Monday, September 19, 2011

Crazy-busy-tired-sick-FUN

It's been an intense couple of weeks.  But, oh, so much fun!

I already mentioned that I applied to teach at BYU Education Week 2012--once I got the video done, I still had to write up the outlines of my three other proposed talks, and fill out the application.  Applications were due last Friday, and wow, the sense of relief I felt at 9:30 Thursday night, printing out the final versions of everything.  Now we just wait--they give themselves until January to tell you "yea" or "nay", so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.  (Ha.)

Preparing my application coincided with a little project Bradley and I embarked upon:  Reading the Book of Mormon in two weeks.  To do this, you must read more than 15 chapters a day--and sometimes that means up to two hours of reading.  It was hard, and yet SO rewarding.  (Even if (hangs head in shame) I'm not QUITE done:  I still have half of Ether and all of Moroni to finish.)  I really felt like I got the scope of the book, and I'm excited to go back and read more slowly this next time.  (I'm thinking about doing a similar project with the Doctrine and Covenants.  Anyone want to join me?)

And then, of course, there is the elementary school science fair, of which I have been (perhaps unwisely) put in charge.  It's actually a funny story:  On the PTA forms we filled out at the start of school, this question was asked:  Is there anything special you can contribute to our school?  So I wrote something about how I am a geologist, and love volcanoes, and wouldn't mind helping the teachers with any rock-related questions they might have.  I was thinking that the fifth grade teachers, who teach physical science, might have some rock sample needs or whatever.

Then the PTA President called, and asked me to be in charge of the entire science fair.  Ha ha ha ha ha.  You see, last year, we waited till the last minute to try to do a science project, and at nine o'clock the night before it was due we gave up.  We didn't even go see anyone else's project.  I have no experience with this!  The last time I participated in a science fair was in fifth grade.  In 1987.

However, I have a problem saying "No", especially when someone as sweet and nice and overworked as our PTA President asks.  So here I am, science-fairing with the best of 'em.

I've already set up our kick-off assembly:  We're getting a physicist from Dixie State College to come wow the kids with cool stuff.  He's a little weird, but what do you expect from a little brother?  (Hi, Samuel!)  I'm working on a poster to place in the Book Fair (once I find out when the district fair will take place).  I've got things scheduled/planned for September, October, November, and December.  It's been a little intimidating, but fun.

And the last weekend my Mom came and stayed with me for a couple of days, just for fun.  We spent most of the time working on super-secret-thing-I'm-not-ready-to-share.  It kept us laughing and busy, I tell you what.

So!  In addition to child-rearing, house-keeping, Relief-Society-ing, I did a lot of geology research, read the Book of Mormon for hours on end, worked on the science fair and my secret project, and...I nearly forgot...got sick TWICE.

It's been crazy, but, like I said, so fun.  I felt like I was in college again, with so many varied things on my plate.  I'm ready for a little break, but I do my best work when I'm crazy-busy.  I should remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.