Thursday, September 29, 2011
Harvest
We planted our little apricot and nectarine trees three summers ago. Judging from the abundance of apricot trees in our neighborhood, we knew that the apricot tree would probably fare well, but we didn't know about the nectarine. The gentleman at the nursery assured us that, if it lived through its first year (especially winter), it would thrive.
And it did! This is the first year I've let our trees bear fruit, because I wanted their root systems to be strong.
I am fairly indifferent to apricots (they're nice, but I can take 'em or leave 'em), but I adore nectarines. Our little harvest (+15) turned out the sweetest, firmest, yummiest nectarines ever.
And after being shooed away from the fruit all summer, the kids were thrilled to help pick. They didn't end up eating any, but that just meant more for Bradley and I!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Gorgeous! It is so wet here that our peach and apricot trees keep getting fungal infections. I just cut down our second apricot tree. I'm hoping the peach will survive. I really just need to grow the fruit trees that are right for my climate.
ReplyDelete