Monday, October 10, 2011
Bread Redux
I have an obsession with this bread recipe. I started making it in early September, and I have probably made it at least 12 times since. It is SO EASY. Each batch makes four loaves, so...that means I have made 48 loaves of bread in the last six weeks.
That can't be good.
Except it is. Good, I mean. So yummy, especially with homemade raspberry-peach or plum-strawberry jam. And it is so fun having fresh bread around the house. You would not believe the opportunities for sharing that come up! I feel like Ma from the Little House books, handing fresh bread rounds at the drop of a hat.
So...because several people have asked me for the recipe, here it is! (Original recipe from here; I've made very few modifications.) Don't be freaked out by the length--most of it is just instructions on how to knead the dough. All told, this recipe usually takes me less than an hour of work to make. The rest of the time is waiting for the dough to rise (one hour, then ten minutes, then 40 minutes).
2 tsp yeast
4 tsp kosher salt
8-10 cups bread flour (all-purpose won't rise as high)
1 cup warm water (between 105 and 110 degrees)
4 cups warm water
Proof the yeast by putting the yeast in the 1 cup warm water. It's actually important that the water is the right temperature--check before you put the yeast in. If the water is less than 105 degrees, the yeast won't grow much; if it is hotter than 110 degrees, it will kill the yeast. Let the yeast-water mixture sit for about five minutes.
While you are waiting, measure the salt and the flour into a bowl. Try to spoon or otherwise lightly measure your flour--if you pack it into your measuring cup you'll have too much.
Add the yeast and enough water to mix so that all the flour sticks together. I usually only use the 1 cup of yeast-water and about 3.5 cups of the other water.
Time for kneading! Knead the dough on a floured surface by hand for 8-10 minutes. (This is exhausting, and a really good upper body workout.) However, I'm lazy, and I have a Bosch mixer. So I actually put everything in the Bosch bowl and mix it for about 10 minutes. I have noticed that my bread doesn't rise quite as high when I use the mixer as opposed to doing it by hand, but it is a trade off I am willing to make. (And now the word "mix" is looking really wrong.)
The dough is ready when it is elastic and not too sticky. I usually take the dough out of the mixer and knead it for about a minute on the counter.
Pull all the sides of the dough into the center, making a big ball. This stretches the gluten and makes a higher loaf. Put the dough in the bowl with the smooth side on top. Cover with a damp cloth for 1 hour.
Take the dough out of the bowl, and flatten it to about two inches tall. Separate the dough with a dough cutter (or you can use a nylon pan scraper from Pampered Chef, like I do!) into four equal parts, for four loaves.
Take each part and pull the edges into the middle all the way around to make a ball. This stretching is really important to having a high loaf--you should see bubbles popping. Place the ball on the counter with the smooth side up. Repeat with the other sections. Cover with your damp cloth for 10 minutes.
Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray.
Shape your loaves: Flatten the dough to about 1 inch thick (don't stretch the dough, just flatten it). Fold one side of the circle of dough to almost the other side, like a smile. Then flatten again. Fold both sides in, overlapping, so that the dough is folded into thirds. Flatten yet again.
Pull the edges to the center again, making a (sort of) ball. Gently round it. Place loaves on cookie sheets and cover with damp cloth for about 40 minutes.
While you are waiting, heat the oven to 400 degrees and place a broiler pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. (Pro tip: Put the pan in the oven, then fill it with water from a pitcher or something. It works much better that way.) This steams the bread and gives a really great crust.
When the second rising is done (don't let it go too long, or your loaves will deflate a little), slash he loaves in an "X" with a serrated knife. (This helps the loaves rise more.) Mix an egg with a bit of water and brush the loaves all over with a pasty brush. If you don't like a slightly crunchy crust, you can skip this step. (I love crunchy crusts, my children do not.)
Put the loaves in the oven (all four! Hopefully they will fit!) and cook until a nice browned top appears. It's better to let the top get a little darker than you think, to make sure the bread is cooked through. I usually cook mine for 30-35 minutes.
Take loaves out of the oven. After a couple of minutes, turn the loaves over on the cookie sheets so the bottoms can dry (or else they stay wet on the bottom, even after a hour).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Awesome, thanks. I'm always game for a new dough recipe.
ReplyDelete