Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Roadshow Practice (Otherwise Known as CHAOS)

It's roadshow* season in the Spanish Fork South Stake, and the (cultural) halls ring with gleeful youth and (mostly game) adults.

Two years ago I participated quite extensively in our ward's offering for the stake performances, but this time the very idea felt a little too--much--for me.  So Bradley got roped in, simply by virtue of being at the church at the right (or wrong) time.  

We're helping with the sounds again (I suppose that makes us foley artists, right?), and since Bradley is in the show, that puts me in charge of making sure the music and sounds come at the right times.  Tonight's rehearsal is the last before show night--this Saturday at 7 at the stake center, everyone in the ward come!--and so we packed up the kiddos and went up to the church at 7pm.  

And entered utter chaos.  I cannot believe how loud and echo-y the cultural hall is now, with wooden floors.  A bare twenty minutes in and I was ready to huddle in a corner with my fingers stuffed in my ears.  I have the most profound admiration for those fabulous leaders who have been working with this program for six weeks.  Amazing.

It should be fun, and I'm excited to be of some help.  My kids are excited to be part of the dance at the end, and Bradley is fearless in his bit part.  Hopefully it all goes off well on Saturday!

*A roadshow is a silly, short, homemade play with music and the singing of ridiculous lyrics.

1 comment:

  1. That's great that your Stake does roadshows! I participated in my one and only roadshow when I was 15 remember it being so much fun (and sooo much work for our leaders and the couple who wrote the script). Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.