Thursday, October 15, 2009

Christmas is Coming...

It's the middle of October, and that means one thing: I only have one month to get all my Christmas shopping done.

I love getting ready for Christmas! I love thinking and planning and conniving and revising and making and crafting and everything that has to do with giving Christmas gifts. It is SO fun! But I hate doing it during Christmastime, because I would rather be decorating and caroling and cooking and wrapping and everything else.

So today I packed up my three youngest kids (Zee elected to stay home to take care of a very sick Daddy) and went to the two nearest Deseret Industries (D.I.) stores. (For those not in the know, D.I. is a Goodwill-type thrift store commonly found along the Mormon Corridor.)

We were wildly successful. And since my children don't read my blog, I can tell you what they are all getting (heh heh heh). (And part of this stuff is for birthdays, because all three of my boys have birthdays between now and Christmas.)
  • play vacuum (Gee, $1.00)
  • Thomas the Tank Engine Train ($0.75)
  • play telephone (Hebs, $1.00)
  • stacking blocks (Hebs, $1.50)
  • baby cradle (Em, $4.00) (It's not actually a cradle, but a sort of wooden basket thingie. With a little work and a homemade mattress, it will be perfect.)
  • old school Fisher-Price doctor kit (Em, $0.75)
Notice anything interesting about this list? Zee doesn't appear on it. It seems that as your kids get older, it becomes harder to find Christmas gifts at D.I. It's a bummer, but I really don't expect to find a good set of Legos at a thrift store.

I figure I've still got about half the shopping to do, which means more deal-searching and thrift-store scouring. The thrill of the hunt is half the fun!

The other half is their faces on Christmas morning.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, they don't read your blog... but weren't they with you? How did you make such a haul with them in tow??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh heh. My powers of distraction are legendary.

    Actually, Gee has already forgotten about the vacuum, Hebs is too little to care, and I hid Em's presents under everything else. Voila!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are looking for something lego-ish for Zee, I can send you a link for a free subscription to the Lego magazine for a year I think.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.