Monday, December 7, 2009

A day which will live in infamy...

The first time I went to Hawaii, we spent four days on the Big Island (with the active volcanoes) and three days on Oahu (with pineapple plantations, , and gorgeous beaches). Naturally, I would have preferred to spend the entire time with the volcanoes, but I was able to console myself adequately with the Polynesian Cultural Center, the gorgeous beaches, and an amazing swap meet.

We also visited Pearl Harbor. We first watched a movie at the visitors' center, and then boarded a little boat filled with long, white benches to be ferried over to the USS Arizona memorial. I never knew the water was so shallow there, that you could see the sunken battleship so clearly.

There was a very solemn feeling on that memorial. It was the same feeling I had earlier that day when we visited the Punchbowl National Cemetery, where thousands of US soldiers killed in WWII and later wars are buried. It is the same feeling I had three years later while visiting Martin's Cove in Wyoming, where the handcart pioneers suffered so much. It was a feeling of hallowed ground.

To all who served or are serving in our armed forces, thank you. Thank you for your sacrifices and service. And God bless you.

-------------------
Advent Day 8: For thousands of years before Jesus was born, everyone was watched and waited for Him. They were excited for Him to be born. Number 24:17 "...there shall come a Star out of Jacob..." Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Isaiah 7:14 "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign: Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.