Thursday, August 6, 2009

He WALKS!

My heart is filled to bursting--Gee walks!

He has, just in the last six days, taken it into his head that maybe, just maybe, walking without his walker MIGHT be pretty fun. As long as it is his idea, of course.

He's been doing his little "standing trick" (standing up without holding onto anything) since February or so, and can stand for more than a minute before losing interest or losing his balance, but it has been an uphill battle to get him to try to take a step. But last Friday, while I was on the phone with Bradley, Gee squirmed out of my lap, slid down my legs, and, after balancing a moment against the chair I was sitting on, took two wobbly, awkward, but very purposeful steps. (He then promptly fell over.)

I was so excited. I cheered, I hugged, I made a great big deal out of it. This pleased Gee, so he decided to try it again. And again. His cousin Kay and sister Em thought it must be a fun game, because I was making such a big deal out of it, that they joined in. And so I sat on the coffee table for twenty minutes, with two little girls pretending to learn to walk, and one sweet, determined Gee actually trying his best to stay upright.

Eventually the game devolved to rolling around on the living room floor, but that was okay. What a start!

He only managed two steps in a row that first day. On Tuesday of this week he got four in a row.

Which brings us to today: Today, he walked all the way across the living room (shortways), from the green chair to the couch, all by himself. All without prompting. All without anyone encouraging him, or asking him to do it. He just decided that this walking game is pretty darn cool, and DID IT. And then did it again.

I cried. And hugged and kissed and tickled my boy until he squirmed to get away from the crazy momma.

We are so blessed!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this post brought tears to my eyes. I bet he is really proud of himself. What an accomplishment. The Lord does have a hand in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He thinks it is the coolest thing ever. (But it has to be HIS idea. All the time.)

    We can't believe how blessed our boyo has been. AND what a blessing to us.

    And we can't wait to see you in three months! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.