Saturday, November 14, 2009

Their first football game

We're not a sports-oriented family, here at the Bradley Ross home. So it was no surprise when I realized that my children never been to a football game--probably never even watched one on TV. When I told them we were going to their cousin's game yesterday, they reacted with excitement untainted with understanding.

"I love football games, Momma!" Em told me sweetly. Sure you do, darling.

"I've been waiting to go to a football game forever!" Zee said. Well, six years is a long time, especially if you are six.

"Okay!" Gee chirps. He just likes to go places, and doesn't usually care where they are.

We bundled up well against the cold--Em even got a new coat (even at 50% off, coats are expensive!) when I realized the little thin one she usually wears is two sizes too small, and didn't cover half her forearm anymore. Hats, scarfs, mittens, blankets--all were packed into bags and bundles. And we definitely needed them!

Because of work obligations, traffic, and the dismissal time of Zee's school, we didn't reach the game until the start of the fourth quarter. Most of the drama of the game was over by then, with a commanding lead by Bingham that the Alta team could not quite overcome (although they tried, with two touchdowns in the last quarter). Bingham answered with one more touchdown, but they didn't even need it--the final score was 28-19. Yay Bingham!


As could have been predicted, my older two children paid absolutely no attention to the actual game. The Rice-Eccles Stadium at the U of U was possibly the most fascinating thing either of them had ever seen. Stairs! And seats! And bleachers! And tons of people cheering! Zee and Em spent most of the time climbing up to the high concourse, climbing back down, sitting wherever they wished (we were in an empty part of the stadium), and having a thoroughly marvelous time.

(I should correct myself. Em did pay attention to the game a little. Whenever the fans started the feet-stomping thing, Em would stop whatever she was doing, stand up, and stomp with them. She loved that part.)

Next week is the championship game against Davis. We're actually going to take Zee out of school a little early, because we'd like to see more of the game this time. The kids are incredibly excited that we are going back to that amazingly fun place, and I'm excited because I actually do enjoy football, even if I don't seek it out.

Go Miners!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, if only my own sports-hating parents had occasionally taken me to a game In The Interest Of The Child's Cultural Development I might have turned out a bit less backward. I am left struggling to understand any part of the excitement that grips my entire society in this arena. It's a recipe for thumb-sucking and compulsive arson. Sad, sad.

    You're very good parents. And good cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think my very first football game (live, at least) was in high school. I was nearly 20 before I learned what what "downs" are, and why they are important. The finer points of the game still escape me--like, why does that one player get to run before the ball is hiked? What is "off-sides"? Etc.

    It turns out that little league football is the best for learning stuff. The action is pretty slow, and you can keep track of people! High school is pretty intense, at least Bingham football.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.