Regardless of what that pose meant, today was Gee's first day of preschool. His first day of riding the school bus. The longest amount of time he has been away from relatives. And he did just fine.
This morning I asked him if he was going to school today. "Mmmm-huh," he muttered noncommittally. I got a better answer after breakfast and an episode of Backyardigans. "Want to get ready for school, Gee?" "Yes!!" he shouted with all the enthusiasm one could hope for.
We got dressed for school, packed a bag with the necessary diapers, wipes, and extra clothes they request, signed all the extra paperwork (I think I have signed my name more times for Gee than for the other three children combined), and put the papers in his little blue backpack. Even though the bus wasn't expected for another forty minutes, Gee put that backpack on and refused to take it off. He was ready for school.
When the bus pulled up in front of our house, Gee just about burst with excitement. "My bus! My bus! My SCHOOL bus!!!" The bus tech (they don't call anyone an "aide" anymore, they are "technicians") came out to pick Gee up and carry him aboard the bus, while I followed, getting the paperwork I needed from them.
And then I waved goodbye and let them drive off with my little boy.
It was hard. (But I didn't cry.) He's only three, and seems littler at times because of the mobility issues. And three is little no matter what, especially for letting someone else drive away with your kid for more than three hours. I didn't know how he was going to do, on the bus ride or in the classroom. Scary.
The bus was supposed to drop him back home at 2:20, and by 2:15 I was peeking out the window every two seconds. Of course they were behind schedule, and it was 2:33 before they pulled up. I bounded out to get my boy, and see how things went.
The bus folks had nothing but good to say about Gee. He almost fell asleep on the way home (no surprise there), but he had been just great. We waved good-bye and went back into the house, where Gee was far more interested in unwrapping the "bus candy" they handed him at the end then telling me about his day. Then again, he's pretty young to be describing events very clearly. (Yet another reason I hate to see him go for so long.)
Luckily, in his backpack was a little note from his teacher. Mrs M. mentioned that he had had physical therapy today (the whole reason for attending preschool), and it had gone well. Also, he had had a "hard time settling in", and it would be better if I didn't come in as planned on Wednesday. (I was supposed to show them how to wrap his leg braces, but the PT was able to show them instead.)
Oh, dear. So he had a hard time settling in. Okay, I'm sure that's normal, and they have plenty of experience in dealing with similar situations. Wow, though. I'm not sure I like feeling...cut off...from my child like this. I certainly think Mrs M. was right to suggest I don't come in, and I will follow her suggestions at the beginning, but I don't have to like it. I don't know any better way for him to get comfortable, and if it were nursery or Primary I'd totally say "okay, no prob" but in nursery or Primary, I can at least spy on him. I feel isolated from Gee's school experience.
(Now is the time when you tell me to settle down myself. Take a few deep, cleansing breaths and remember it is the FIRST day of school. The very start. Everything is new for both of us. I'm telling myself that, right now.)
Don't grow up too fast, Gee-boy.

It sounds like he had a great first day! It is hard "to settle in" when it is your first time in this setting. He wanted to see and observe the setting and all that goes on in a classroom. It is very visually and auditorily stimulating. It is great his PT was there to be a friendly face and reinforce the OKness of the setting. It should be a great experience for him and you!
ReplyDeleteI love that picture! It's so like him! I'm sorry he had a rough first day. I hope that it gets better for him really soon!
ReplyDelete