(Sorry about the absence: It was one part laziness, one part forgetfulness, and one part distraction. I've noticed that I neglect the blog a little whenever I have something big, but non-public, on my mind. It feels like I can't get any other words or ideas past the one big thing that is preoccupying me.)
Some things that tickled me this weekend:
1. I cleaned out one of my (many) catch-all cupboards yesterday. This one was mostly full of knick-knacks and other decorative things, but had also become the place to set anything I wanted out of the way. (I guess that is the definition of a "catch-all.")
To keep the kids happy as I worked, I gave them various rediscovered treasures to play with: The old paper folding fan (destroyed in less than two hours!), the shell-covered box my seventh grade friend gave me, the light-up yo-yo that had been in a forgotten "time-out" for at least two years, the miniature froggy tea set I received in high school. All of these items had once been treasured (well, except for the yo-yo), but now...I'm feeling cluttered and crowded. I'm feeling burdened by too much STUFF. So it is time to purge, especially things I haven't used or thought about in at least two years.
And, hey, if my kids got to play with them on the way to the garbage or D.I., so much the better. The treasures kept them busy for hours. It was a little like Christmas, only way less expensive and shorter.
2. Today Em was playing hide-and-seek with me. She hid behind Mimi's swing, which--like all swings of this type--is constructed of bars and a little seat. In other words, not much to hide behind there, sweetie. When I "found" her, she said, "Oh, Mom! Did you see me because of my little butt sticking out from behind?" Yes, that plus your WHOLE BODY. Silly girl.
3. Four day weekends make me happy. I actually love having the kiddos home from school--it's so much more relaxing and just fun. (Until the squabbling and tears make me long for school, usually around day 4 or 5.) The kids and I went up to my sister Telima's house in Cottonwood Heights on Friday. We hung out at her house for a while, and then decided to go to IKEA. With our friend G. and her daughter, that meant three adults and nine children under the age of eight.
It was, perhaps, a little foolish. Only three of the children are old enough to go to the playplace, and that left my three littles (4, 2, and 5 months), my sister's two youngest (3 & 1), and our friend's two-year-old. We were quite the procession, and not quiet by any stretch of the imagination.
Still, I had a pretty good time.
4. P.F. Chang's crispy honey shrimp. Divine.
5. Speaking of food, on Sunday I made these delicious garlic-lime pork chops. They were very easy, and soooooo delicious. (And I didn't even add the paprika, not because I am opposed to paprika, but because I was out of it. The chops were still good.)
6. And my friend Emily found out that her fetus is a healthy baby girl. Hooray!
It was a good weekend.
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment