When Em started kindergarten, I signed up to become a mother helper once a month. My friend and I arranged to swap babysitting once a month, so we could both go in and volunteer for our kids' teachers. In September, Em's teacher sent home a schedule--I was supposed to come in from 9-9:30 on the first Tuesday of the month. No problem!
Except the first Tuesday in October we were out of town, in Durango. I let her teacher know, and all was well. In November I went in and had a great time, helping the kids journal about Halloween in Writers' Workshop.
The first Tuesday in December, Hebs' broken leg was still uncasted, in the splint. I didn't leave him with anyone that week, so I had to cancel.
The first Tuesday in January, my car wouldn't start.
This Tuesday I thought I had under complete control. Then on Saturday my friend had to cancel babysitting. On Sunday I found another babysitter. She called me this morning at 7:15, with the sad news that her three-year-old has a raging fever.
For a couple of minutes, I contemplated giving up. Obviously, I wasn't meant to be a mother helper this year in kindergarten.
But then I rallied. Nothing was going to stop me from being a mother helper today! I made several phone calls--person A was already babysitting three extra children. Person B had an exercise class with person C. Person D had an appointment. And then--just as I was losing faith in all humanity, at least as relates to mother-helper-ing--person E, nine months pregnant, said she could watch Hebs and Mimi.
And the clouds parted and the sun shone and probably little birdies were singing.
Thank you, Lindsay. You saved my bacon, my faith, my day, and my daughter's morning. You rock.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am glad I checked your blog! It was no problem at all to help, I just wish I wasn't so far down on your list ;). Cam loved having kids in the house while Nate was gone. I can always use more opportunities to serve, so thank YOU for giving me the opportunity!
ReplyDeleteAnd what am I? Chopped liver? I'm available too if you need someone in the future... : )
ReplyDeleteOh, dear! I love you both so much! I'm so incredibly blessed--you two rock. Thanks so much.
ReplyDelete