Before having kids I didn't understand how deeply affecting a baby's cry is, how it completely frazzles a mother's brain, and in a way that seems to bypass gender equity. When my baby is crying I can't deal with my keys not fitting easily in a lock, my misplaced water bottle, or a sticky stroller brake, and I sure as **** can't deal well with Bea throwing rocks. Even in the short space between my children's infancies I forgot how hard it is to breathe when my baby is crying. And I'm assuming that if I forgot then the mothers glaring at me as I packed up my freakshow at the creek also forgot. And I'm assuming that all those sweet folks who long for baby kisses have forgotten or never were the primary caretaker to two kids so young.--from Jjust KiddingI found this passage to be profoundly true. When Yum-Yum (or any of my children when they were infants) cries, my whole focus narrows. Even if I do my best to ignore it, I'm frazzled.
Her cries don't seem to trouble her father in the same way. Nor do I feel the same way when my sister's baby cries, or a friend's child. I think mothers are hard-wired to feel this way. I imagine it is a good thing, although it is hard to believe that at 3:30 am.
Read the whole thing, as they say. (Caution, some language.)

It IS so true! So glad to know I am not the only one that gets frazzled and even more so when we are on our way out to go somewhere or in public somewhere. Mother's ears MUST be hard-wired because my husband could sleep through a train wreck while my eyes instantly pop open to a faint far away cry of one of my children.
ReplyDelete