Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A less well-known fact about kids' TV

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that children's television programming can be placed into two categories: Annoying and Not Annoying.

Only slightly less well known is this: Most Annoying children's television shows have a given name in the title. Very few Not Annoying shows have a given name in the title.

Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up. A brief list, just for you:

Annoying Children's Television Shows:
  • Dora the Explorer
  • Caillou
  • Ni Hao Kai-lan
  • Arthur
  • Thomas the Tank Engine
  • Bob the Builder
  • Blue's Clues
  • Max and Ruby
  • Barney
  • Lampchop's Play Along

Not Annoying Children's Television Shows:
  • The Backyardigans
  • Zula Patrol
  • WordWorld
  • Cyber Chase
  • Reading Rainbow
  • Sesame Street

Exceptions that prove the rule:
  • Sid the Science Kid (Not Annoying)
  • It's a Big Big World (Annoying)
I rest my case.

2 comments:

  1. I do believe your theory is almost perfect....but Blues Clues is like crack for Claire and she has gained some surprising knowledge from it. She only gets one a day.....I mean it...one do you hear me.....count with me one...got it? got it. good now you can watch......just a little ritual we like to do every day:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take exception to Lambchop. How dare you?!?
    Actually, I just had a speech therapist tell me that the best preschool cartoon, learning-wise is Dora the Explorer. Why? They speak slowly and follow a repetitive and predictable story line. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.