Wow, that was a fun/looooong/trifle disappointing/interesting evening. Tonight was the Utah Republican Caucuses (did you go?), and Bradley and I engaged a babysitter and made it a date. (What? People go to sports events for dates all the time. Political caucuses are like sports, only much quieter and filled with older-than-average people.)
Fun: Bradley and I love politics, and local stuff is just as important. We really enjoy participating, and sitting with friends from the neighborhood just increases the fun.
Looooong: We told our babysitter that we would be home between 8:30 and 9 pm. Ha ha ha ha. We walked into the house at 10:30. (And at least one precinct was still going strong when we left.) Between higher attendance and a new rules change (a winning nominee must have a majority of the votes, which necessitated multiple rounds of voting), what usually takes between 90-120 minutes took three and a half hours. On hard cafeteria benches. Yikes.
Trifle disappointing: I oppose Senator Hatch being reelected. I very much favor Dan Liljenquist. The only way, here in Utah, to beat him will be at the convention, because he has too much name recognition and money to make a loss at the primary (if it even makes it to the primary) likely. A loss at the general? Practically impossible. Our precinct will send three delegates to the state convention. Despite my best efforts, two of the three are avowed Hatch supporters, and the third is on the fence. That was discouraging, to say the least. (I ran for a state delegate position, but, not surprisingly, was not selected.)
Interesting: It's always fascinating and amazing to go and see the political process in action. It just feels right to be there and do my best to be informed and involved.
We'll see what happens in the future.
Thursday, March 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment