Monday, March 19, 2012
A World Without People
The pictures in this photo essay are just amazing and evocative and a bit disturbing. As a child, I was a little frightened of abandoned buildings--they seemed so lonely and haunted. Even as an adult, I'd always have eerie feelings when exploring old cabins or houses while out in the field--the delightful, slightly disturbing feeling which drives people to tell/listen to ghost stories.
Once, alone in southern Utah near Silver Reef, I approached an old stone pioneer cabin. (I was one of the teaching assistants for field camp that week, and I was headed for group of students in the far distance to answer questions.) As I timidly stuck my head in the gaping door, a huge lizard dropped down from the ceiling rafters, millimeters from my inquiring nose. I shrieked and flung myself back, narrowly avoiding both wetting my pants and falling on my rear end in the sand. Five minutes later, my heart finally stopped pounding.
I never did finish exploring that cabin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment