Friday, March 16, 2012

A Sunny Day

At eight o'clock tonight, I tucked the four big kids into their makeshift beds upstairs in front of the TV (movie night!), and told Yum Yum that she could stay up with the big kids for another show, but then it was time for bed.  She looked at me, nodded, and headed downstairs.  Curious, I followed her.

I found her in her bed, waiting to be covered with blankets.  "MomMA?" she asked in her adorable lilting way.  "Nigh-nigh."

I guess she was tired.  I haven't heard a peep from her since I closed her door.

It was a long day.  It started early, helping Daddy get ready for his scout camping trip.  We met with the cub pack and walked over to the Spanish Fork Fairgrounds for the Spring Gem and Mineral Fair.  (The very definition of insanity--everyone and their wolf cubs were there.  We had seven scouts, five adults, two teenagers, and eleven crazy little kids.  Crowded, noisy, hot, crazy...let's just say that next year, I think I'll get a babysitter.)

We walked home after ninety minutes, rock sugar lollipops in hands and mouths, little polished rocks and shark teeth in pockets.  About an hour later, Em started screeching for me.  "My tooth broke, my tooth broke!"  One of her back baby teeth had indeed broken, damaged by a cavity.  Lovely.

I called our dentist, who managed to fit us in at four-ish.  Because of the emergency nature of the appointment, we waited about forty-five minutes.  Once in, it was apparent that the tooth needed to be completely removed (it was essentially shattered), and the tooth next to it as well, as infection from the broken tooth had spread.  Both baby teeth, both shallow, it was the work of just ten minutes (once Em was doped up on laughing gas and Novocaine.)  Still, we didn't get out of there until after five-thirty.

With orders to keep Em on soft foods for a day or so, we headed to the store to stock up on yogurt, pudding, jello, bananas, and eggs.  Pizza (for the rest of the kids) and Cafe Rio (for the frazzled momma) were obtained, and finally--finally--at 6:30, we got home.  Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.