Tuesday, June 30, 2009

ATTN WORLD: MONDAY IS 40,000 DAY


You can have your Y2Ks, your 08/08/08s, and your 2012s--I've just discovered that Monday, July 6, 2009 is 40,000 Day!

What is 40,000 day, you ask? Well, it's simply the most exciting thing ever to hit MS Excel. You see, in order to correctly calculate dates, MS Excel simply converts them to a number--the number of days since January 1st, 1900, to be exact. So my anniversary, October 19, 2001, translate in Excel-speak to 37183 (days since 01-01-1900).

Thirty-seven thousand, one hundred eighty-three isn't a very catchy number, but 40,000--ah, now that's a number you can sink your teeth into! (Figuratively speaking, of course.) And it just so happens that just six days from now, this very Monday, is that very day: 40,000 day. A beautiful, dare I say even exquisite, figure of a numeral.

And rare, too. Ten thousand days is approximately 27.3 years--the last time such a nicely rounded number occurred was February 18, 1982 (pre-MS Excel, which launched in 1985). The next one won't be until Friday, November 21, 2036. And we probably won't be using MS Excel anymore, because we will be able to do complex calculations and spreadsheets using the cyborg implant in our brain. So this is quite possibly the ONLY time we will see a perfect ten-thousand number EVER.

I'm already planning my celebration. I'll tell you ALL about it on Monday--if I can handle the excitement!

1 comment:

  1. Uhhh...this is way over my head. Come to think of it so is this new MAC I am working at!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.