Tuesday, June 23, 2009

For my own good, huh?


"Zee, for the last time, GO TO BED."

As he continues banging on the drawers in his room. "I'm doing this for your own good, Momma."

Bedtime is a never-ending source of amusement and frustration for me. I love to listen to my kids say their prayers (example: Em said in her prayer tonight, "Thank Thee for Mommy, Daddy, Zee, Gee, Hebs, and especially me."), I love reading bedtime stories to them (only on nights when they actually listen and get ready for bed when I ask. Yes, I'm a horrible mother for withholding bedtime stories), I love when they give me big hugs and kisses.

I really don't like that they pop up every two seconds, needing a drink or the bathroom or to ask me one question or tell me one more thing. Or when they tease their sibling roommate to the point of tears, or make so much noise that said sibling wakes up crying. Sometimes my kids don't actually go to sleep until 10pm, and bedtime is at eight.

Zee just popped out of bed AGAIN. Needing a toy from the hallway. ARGH.

On the other hand, I actually love the way they all pile into our bed in the morning. Usually it starts somewhere around 6am, when Zee or Em crawl into Daddy's side of the bed. (He is more accommodating than I.) Eventually, Gee crawls into our room, moaning for Momma. And let me tell you, as much as Bradley tries to let me sleep in sometimes, Gee won't take no for an answer. He needs his Momma and he needs her NOW. We snuggle and rest until the baby wakes up, needing Momma too.

I love that they all need Momma. Even if it is exhausting.

I just had Zee come sit on the bed with me. "I'm sorry I've been so snippy, Zee. Will you forgive me?"
"I forgive you, Momma."
"I really need you to go to bed and lay quietly when I ask you to, Zee."
"I just can't, Momma. I'm not like the other kids, it's just the way I was born."
"Good night, Zee."

5 comments:

  1. That room your children are crashing in looks AWFULLY familar. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee hee. Yup, we took that picture when we visited Mema back in February. I thought it was appropriate, given the topic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good at keeping track of the great things your kids say and I love reading about them!!!Ezra cracks me up! I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has kids who won't go to sleep until 10:00 (their bedtime is also 8:00)Some nights they drive me to distraction...and way beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one of the reason I love blogging...I'm always at the computer, but I'm rarely near my journal (do I even know where it is?). I know I'll laugh at stuff like this someday...SOMEday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please Keryn, if you figure out a cure for this let me know! I feel like this is supposed to be the great time of the evening and it turns exactly the opposite. I am right there with you sister!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.