Monday, July 12, 2010

Gold, I Tell Ya!


Zee and Em ride the bus with Daddy four mornings a week to get to preschool. Because Zee is 6, he has to pay the full bus fare ($2.00) everyday. Em is still free. (We looked into getting a monthly pass for Zee, but it was more expensive than the 20 rides/month regular fee.)

Every morning, I scrounge around the house looking for two dollars--in change, dollar bills, or some combination thereof. I've been scraping the bottom of the barrel lately, though--and I think Bradley would draw the line at 20 dimes.

So this morning I hied over to the bank and asked for $30 worth of one dollar coins. (The cashier looked a little worried when I asked, and told me it would take a little while to put that together.) Why not dollar bills? Well, I had considered $2 bills, but I've heard enough horror stories about people not believing they are real currency that I didn't want Bradley to have to deal with that. Coins are so much more fun than bills, especially when you are young.

I had forgotten that the mint is issuing 4 new dollar coins a year right now, with presidents of the United States on the front. In the bag of 30 coins we received from the bank, we got 10 Sacajaweas, one Susan B., and 19 golden-ish presidential coins--Thomas Jefferson, Millard Fillmore, John Tyler, James Polk, John Adams, etc. We've been having so much fun playing with them this afternoon. (Although I'm a little worried that I won't get all of them back. We shall see.)

Coins are a ton more fun. Gold-colored coins are even better. I think the tooth fairy is going to invest in some gold coins for her next visit! (Which may be sooner than I think, considering Zee just lost his two bottom teeth in the last three weeks. I don't think he has anymore super loose ones, though.)

1 comment:

  1. I like the coins too. In Canada that's all they have for $1, they call them loonies (for the bird on the coin). then there are $2 bills. I hope the coins will catch on, but I don't think they will as long as we have the bills. I love the tooth fairy idea! We usually give our kids 1 quarter per year of age (6 quarters for our 6 yr old) but I think they would prefer a cool gold coin! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.