Friday, August 6, 2010

Another one bites the dust...

So, tragedy. My laptop (an 18-month-old refurb HP) started dying last night, and completely kicked the bucket this morning. As in, motherboard death or something. Possibly related to the known fault in this series of HP laptops of running way, way, WAY hot. Possibly not. Who knows? I've been getting blue-screens-of-death about weekly for the past three weeks, and then random programs started flipping out, and then...well, it won't even boot up to the diagnostic screen. As in, DEAD as a doornail.

This is not a happy thing, because, dude, it's only 18 months old. But it was cheap, and a refurb anyway, so...not completely surprising. Annoying, yes.

But it is not a catastrophe! Because (here I will sound like a commercial) the contents of my entire computer are backed up with Mozy. Oh, the peace of mind. (Seriously. I know I sound like a testimonial, but nobody is paying me or giving me anything to tell you this.) I have an entire 18 months of pictures and notes and documents and all on that dead computer, and I feel entirely FINE. Because I can just re-download it!

Seriously, everybody in the computing world needs to have a backup, and Mozy is just one place to do it. But just DO IT. Because something like this will happen to you someday (or somebody will dump milk on your computer (like my brother's kids) or steal your computer (like my friend's) or something like that. And then you will be sad because, well, your computer is dead or gone; but you won't be devastated because all your STUFF is still around.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by the letter P for poor, which is what I will be when I buy my new computer.

4 comments:

  1. We have external hard drives that we use to back up all the computers on a regular basis. Then we disconnect and store in our fire proof safe until it comes time to back everthing up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keryn, you are so funny. :) How much does something like Mozy cost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, Jen, I know I won't keep something like that up. Too lazy!

    Cynthia, glad I can amuse! For the unlimited amount, one-computer plan I use, it is $55.00 yearly. There is a free, 2 GB plan, but that only works if you aren't trying to include pictures, because just a few end up taking up a lot more space than 2GB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I'm Dan's wife (from work) and he gave me your blog to see your sweet new baby - and she is BEAUTIFUL!! Congratulations! I love that she's looking at you so intently. And, I love your posts, especially the Sesame Street reference. We're so very in that stage right now! Take care and recover well!
    Becky C

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.