Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Two Schools

Today was elementary school registration for our school district (school doesn't start for another three weeks). I have children in two different schools (Zee and Em go to our neighborhood school, and Gee goes to the development preschool at a different school), and so to both schools I went.

It was interesting to contrast the PTA pitches of the two schools. Our neighborhood school is a Title One school, which means some high percentage of students are on free/reduced price school lunches. (In other words, we live in a lower-income neighborhood, and our school gets more government money.) The PTA at this school is very low-key--nothing fancy, $4.00 annual family fee, do you want to participate in "Swish" (weekly fluoride treatments), and we'll sent information about the school T-shirt in September. To be sure, a $20 donation to the school is politely requested (any amount is appreciated) to pay for things like Mother's Day gifts and other school projects, but is not required and not pushed.

The school Gee goes to, although just a few miles away, is in a very different economic situation. The school is newer, and surrounded by new houses, many of them large and (relatively) more expensive. The PTA here at Gee's school had big posters advertising the yearbook! The T-shirts, hats, and hoodies! The various other neat things branded with the school's name and mascot!

All things considered, I actually prefer our neighborhood school's method. I am perfectly willing to part with my money to pay for my children's projects (and to subsidize other kids' as well), but I would prefer not to buy silly expensive stuff, just so the PTA can get some percentage of it. I'd rather the kids get 100% of the money.

Anyway.

Em is so excited about school. She had her pre-assessment today, and managed to identify all the letters and numbers except lower case "b". Not bad, little girlie! She is going to be just fine, and have so much fun!

Zee was very thrilled to "show" Em around his school. (Not that she paid much attention to him.) He saw his kindergarten teacher and ran and hugged her, dashed into the office to greet the office staff, and generally danced around, also excited about school.

Gee, on the other hand, being younger and less able to understand, was totally disappointed that he didn't get to go to school today. After filling out what little paperwork required of us, I prepared to leave, only to spend the next five minutes trying to explain that school didn't start yet, and we couldn't go see his classroom because the hallway was blocked off. He was unimpressed by my explanation, and cried a little because he wanted to "go to his school!" (And then I bribed him with m&ms to get him to go to the car. Mother of the year, baby.)

I'm glad my kiddos love school. For now. It sure makes it easier.

1 comment:

  1. UUUmmmm, I am pretty sure that no matter where the PTA, the money ALL goes to the kids.
    Glad your kids are excited to start school. Wish mine felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.