Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back To School 2010 - Zee

Today is Zee's first day of first grade. He was been SO excited about all-day school: getting to play on the playground before the first bell, a new teacher, showing off for his little sister during open house yesterday ("Here is the library! This is the reading resource room! Over there is the girls' bathroom!), bringing lunch in a brand-new lunch box...the anticipation has been mounting. Last night I thought he was going to rocket right through the roof, he was so hyper.

I didn't shed a tear last year, as my first-born went to kindergarten. But I was close to crying today as I dropped him off at school. (Post-pregnancy hormones? The thought of my little boy gone all day? Lack of sleep? Who knows.)

What a difference a year makes!

The whole at-school lunch-thing has been haunting me all summer. You see, Zee is a very picky eater. There is not a lot that he willingly eats that goes into a lunch box. (And school lunch would be the BIGGEST waste of money ever, for him.) And some mothers are pretty darn amazing with their lunches.

For example:
(from Wendolonia)

This is what Zee's lunchbox looked like this morning:

They look pretty close to the same, right? Right?

I did manage to slip a little treat in, with a note, to surprise him.

(Which he didn't even notice or eat, because of his lunch of two (2) apples, two (2) string cheeses, one (1) sandwich, one (1) Capri Sun, (1) baggie of cookies, and (1) special treat, he ate three (3) Nilla Wafers and one (1) string cheese. And then promptly ran outside to play.)

He had a great day. Recess figured prominently in his report of the day, as did the fact that he talked to some "older" kids about what all the bells mean. When I asked him what he learned, he scornfully replied, "We didn't learn ANYTHING today!"

I have high hopes for tomorrow, though.

4 comments:

  1. Holy fancy lunch in the model. Did they really spell the kid's name out with cheese or meat or something? What a fun mom you are to put in a treat and note! That's much cooler than meat spelling your name. :) Hopefully he will learn lots and lots! My kids were lukewarm on their reports of the first day. I guess it leaves room for improvement (??) right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE the first day of school because it is the FIRST MOST BORING DAY OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. I have to talk about expectations and rules and procedures and even if you try to be fun the kids don't know you and aren't sure if they should laugh or if you would put them in detention for smiling and instead give you a slight grimace look and tell there parents they learned NOTHING. I like the first day of the second week of school better.

    Love,
    A fifth grade teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH DEAR- I mean their NOT there.

    Some fifth grade teacher I turned out to be.

    (I think I'm tired. Back to School Night today.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha ha, LaDale. I'm surprised you are even still conscious at 9:23 on Back to School Night. One grammar error is acceptable. :)

    And Michelle, I think (from what I've read) that the stuff the kid's name is in is tofu, and for some reason it is darker on one side than the other. So she has these little cookie cutter thingies, and then switches the letters around so the colors contrast.

    I cannot imagine doing this for school lunches. But it looks like a fun hobby--just not for me!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.